Many ancient stone
statues and other evidences show that Nepali music
was alive even before the Kirant and the Licchavi
dynasties. 7th century inscriptions show the existence
of a well-organized musical team (orchestra) even
during that era.
There are many
musical instruments most of which are made with
the help of local resources. Nekoo, made of the
horn of a water buffalo, is believed to scare
evil spirits once played. The Panche Baaja is
a group of musical instruments without which no
Nepali wedding is said to be complete. It comprises
of five instruments played together, they are:
- It makes a wailing sound, which is very moving.
tyamko - It is a single headed round
drum made of animal skin played with two sticks.
- It is curled up and produces a piercing and
- It is a small single-headed drum with a sharp
sound. 5. Jhyali- These are a pair of small bars
which gives a tolling sound when played by hitting
against one another.
NEPALI INSTRUMENTS ARE:-
- This is a double-headed cylindrical drum with
a big wooden body. Its right side is beaten
with a light cane and the left is beaten with
the hand of the player. It is widely used by
the Jyapu`s (farmers) of Kathmandu on festive
- it is a samll double headed drum with a sharp
sound. It was used to attract public attention
to announce important news.
- This is the most popular and widely used drum
in Nepal. It is made of leather with a wooden
body. Most Nepali folk songs are accompanied
by the playing of this drum.
- This is a seven stringed musical instrument
produced and played by Gaines (professional
folk singers of Nepal).
- This is a double headed drum widely used in
the Terai part of Nepal for public fairs and
- This is a very ancient double headed drum
with a very heavy wooden body. It produces a
gentle and pleasant sound.
or Mridang - It is like a small trumpet
and it makes a wailing sound, which is very
moving. It is used for many religious ceremonies.
- this is a double- sided disk shaped drum topped
with leather and with a long wooden handle.
It is played with great zeal with jumping and
leaping in the air.
- This is about 6 ft long and is made
of copper with intricate carvings and art-work
on it. It is used mostly by Buddhist monks and
is somewhat similar to a Karnal.